Monday, March 5, 2012

Tender Mercies

March 5, 2012
Dear Family and Friends,

Well this week just flew by and it was an awesome week. We were able to get a lot done as we have made it a goal to have a Noche de Hogar con cada familia de la Rama. Everything is going great and the member’s love this game we play after our FHE lesson, called Snort. After teaching a short lesson we play this game and everyone goes crazy. What you do is sit everyone in a circle while there is someone in the middle that is blindfolded. The person with the blindfold has a stick in his hand and he has to go around the circle giving the stick to one person at a time. The person is blind folded so they don’t know who grabbed the stick so they have to make a snorting noise like a pig. Then the person sitting has to respond my snorting.  The person with the blind fold gets to guess who it is according to the noise made and if they guess wrong they have to keep going around in the circle until they guess correctly. Man everyone loves this game out here and it’s a great game to play for a Family Home Evening.

The missionary work is going great and we are continuing to get the members fired up to share the gospel. Our big family that had a baptismal date, we are still working with them. We hope and pray that their neighbors aren’t having to big of a negative influence but sad to say the dad really doesn’t have any desires to read or know. The 14 year old boy, R is a stud. His family couldn’t come to church yesterday for some reason but he showed up by himself. When we asked him how he got there he told us not to worry about it. He is the man and really has a desire to learn and follow the Lord. I believe that he will be the key to softening the heart of his pops. Anyway, R wrestles in middle school and he has a tournament this weekend. I’m going to stop by one day this week and teach him how to do the fireman’s carry and maybe some tilts so he can be ready to take some kids out. I see this kid like my little brother and he is going to be an awesome missionary one day.

Anyway, you wanted to know about some tender mercies that have happened out here recently. Well the other day I was studying in Preach my Gospel and I felt inspired to study about charity and the pure love of Christ. I began to study the principle when I realize that a huge part of showing love is showing your gratitude. I ran across this quote from Shakespeare that says, They do not love that do not show their love” and it hit me pretty hard. I thought about my love for my investigators and the members here. I thought about how I showed my love for them and if they really felt it. I then thought about all the things that people do for us missionaries and for me and sometimes I have taken it for granted. I thought about my experiences in my mission and all the things people have done for me to express their love for the Savior and his servants. I thought about how I thanked them and tried to express my gratitude. Sadly, I realized that I had not done that great of a job and after reflecting on the matter I have realized that to show my gratitude and love it’s going to take a little bit more than a thank you or a handshake. I have decided to write down all the things that people in the branch and in all my areas have done for me and the missionary work and thank them. I am not sure if this is the best way to show gratitude but I have decided to write them a thank you card and let them know that we as missionaries are aware of what they are doing and that we are so grateful. Well this was my tender mercy that I learned and I’m glad the spirit guided me and helped me recognize that I have a lot to be grateful for and that I need to show it. 
I love you family and I am truly grateful for your support and your love. I can’t wait to go to the temple with you guys as well.  I look forward to talking to you about the gospel and the amazing truths I have learned while in the service of the Master. I love you guys and I know that Jesus is the Christ and this is His work.

Love,

Elder Payne