Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 11, 2011

Dear Family,

 Things are going absolutely great out here. I love every second of it and times flying by so fast. Looking back on last week it all seems like one big blur so let me try to figure out all that happened last week. I did get a chance to speak with you guys on the phone while you were in Chile for Maria Elba’s endowment and that was great. I got to practice my Spanish a little more and what a great blessing it was being able to have a conversation in Spanish. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father because only through his divine help have I been able to become fluent in the Spanish language in such a short time. Not to mention the obstacles I have faced in learning the language like being sent out here to Seaside to serve in English for a six months right in the middle of my mission. But by putting my faith in the Lord and trusting in Him, I have been able to keep on improving my Spanish every day. It felt so good to speak with you in Spanish Mom and I made sure to thank Heavenly Father for that opportunity. Not to mention that I was able to speak to Maria Elba in Spanish too and that was pretty tight. Before the mission, she would always write me things in Spanish on Facebook and I would have no idea what she was talking about. Now every letter that she sends me I am able to understand exactly. What a blessing and a privilege it has been and I hope that I can continue to progress and obtain a Chilean accent and lose the Mexican one I have ha-ha. Anyway, it was great talking to you all and off course we weren’t able to say everything we wanted to so I still have some things to tell you.

 Well yesterday we had our temple day and it was another great experience. From the pictures you sent me from the Atlanta Temple, it looks great. Bad news though, I did get a ticket on the way to the temple because you know that Satan was trying to get me down before I entered into the House of the Lord. He succeed a little bit as I felt like garbage after getting the ticket, but I decided to put that behind me and had a really good time at the temple. But now I have got to face reality and pay that bad boy. Well I was going 15 over the speed limit. I was going 70 in a 55. I would have been able to get away with it in Georgia but the cops are different out here. It was in the middle of nowhere when he caught me and I was going up a hill. I will go and fight that thing to see if I can get the price cut down so I’ll let you know how it ends up.  Sorry for the bad news but he got me and I have to man up now.

 A while ago one of the General Authorities came to our mission and told us things we needed to do to show our dedication to the Savior. He told us that we only need to spend 10 minutes in the bathroom, 5 minute showers and 5 minutes to shave. Well it takes me like 10 minutes to shave but I tried what he said and I have been able to do it. I have only been spending like 10 minutes in the bathroom in the morning and it has really been going well. I have more energy and I am more awake. Not to mention I have an additional 20 minutes to study so it’s all good. 

 I have had some pretty good experiences out here the last week. We met this guy at a restaurant named Santiago and he is the man. He filled up our water and this guy was diligent. If you took a sip of water and then put your glass down, he would be right by your side 5 seconds later to fill it up. I never saw my glass go beneath half way that night. Well I later asked him if he had talked to missionaries before and he said he did in Mexico. We will go back to see him since he is the man. 

Well another story is that Elder Allred and I were tracting and we saw to shady looking guys coming towards us. I asked them can I share a message with you that can change your life. The guy walked right by me holding a blunt of Weed and said, let me tell you how weed changed my life. I said sir, how is it that you’re carrying that all out in the open. He simply replied," Its medical!" It was an interesting experience to see two guys just roaming the streets in mid daylight smoking the Ganja but it’s what we face out here.  We are working hard every day and I know the Lord will bless us with people to teach.

Love to all,

Nathan