Friday, September 3, 2010

I made it to the MTC!

Hi Everyone,

Sunday, Elder Richard Hinckley came to reorganize our Stake Presidency and I was a little afraid I would not know the new Stake President to well.  Boy was I wrong, what a wonderful blessing for me that my good friend and previous Bishop, C. Watson Nichols was called to be the new Stake President.  It was so cool to talk to President Nichols and reach the goal of going on a mission we set together. I will always appreciate his example and his love.  I hope to live up to his family mission statement of " We do hard things".   President Nichols set me apart in his office on Sunday night and I am now officially a full time missionary for the Lord Jesus Christ.  I can't wait to get to the MTC and get started learning Spanish and preparing to share the gospel.



President Nichols at my Open House

My parents and I left Monday morning  to go to SLC to visit family and to attend the SLC temple before going into the MTC.  It waas so awesome to see everyone and the temple was amazing inside.  I could have never imagined how beautiful and how sweet the spirit was inside. 
 I was sad to say goodbye to my little Abuelita as she is 90 and is getting very old, I only pray she will be here when I come home.  I have a special place in my heart for both my Abuelita and Nana.  It was great to be able to celebrate my big sister Alexandra's birthday too and to hang out with Clare, Parker, Nana and the gang.  I hope they write and stay in touch because two years is a long time. 
We got to go downtown to the Joseph Smith Memorial building and we saw a great new movie about Joseph Smith and the Restoration.  We met a Sister missionary from Portland who said it is a great place and I will love it there.  We took a tour of the Church office building and the Visitor Center and everyone was so nice.  Everyone said hello, and asked where I was going to be serving, it made me feel very blessed to be going on a mission. 
We left for Provo and the MTC around 11:00 AM, Wednesday morning,  so we would have plenty of time before I had to report at 1:30 PM.  We stopped in Orem at the Missionary Mall to pick up a backpack and get the free tie they offer for all Elders.  I picked the most outlandish tie they had!  We stopped at the 9th Street Creamery for a bite to eat and about 1:15 PM headed over to the MTC.  Wow, it was super to see all of the Elders in their white shirts and ties out there to greet and assist everyone.  They made me feel right at home.  I had a host to help me get my suitcases and to show me the ropes.  They said they expected about 440 Elders to show up that day.  I said goodbye to my parents and headed in to get started on the next two years.  I will keep in touch and let everyone know how things are going. 

Write me OK!
 Be good! 
 Peace Out!

Elder Nathan Payne

Cat nap on the plane to SLC


I will miss my Mom so much!

Modern Day Pioneer "Oregon or Bust"!

26 Story Church Office Building

Statue of the Prophet Joseph Smith


Joseph Smith Memorial Building, SLC, Utah

Conference Center downtown SLC



SLC Temle Grounds

View of the Great Salt Lake Valley

View of Temple Square from the top floor of the Church Offices
My Little Abuelita
Me, Alexandra and Parker at the Market Street Broiler Celebrating Alex's Birthday
My Nana and Granpa Clare
Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah
Adios!  See you in two years.